Summer would not be complete without strawberry shortcake! Just because you eat Paleo, you shouldn’t have to miss out on all the treats! This All American dessert is perfect all summer long.
How will you be celebrating the fourth?
- 1 cup almond flour
- Dash of salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 Tbs raw honey melted
- 1 egg
- 2 tsps pure vanilla extract
- This makes a thin cake (about ½ inch thick) If you want a thicker cake, double the ingredients and increase the cooking time or cook it in an 8x8 inch pan.
- 1 pound diced strawberries
- For the whipped cream topping:
- Open a can of full fat coconut milk the night before and put it in the fridge to thicken up and separate from the water.
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 2 tsp. melted raw honey
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Mix the almond flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Add the egg, honey, applesauce, egg, and vanilla to the bowl of almond flour and mix well.
- Cut parchment paper to fit the bottom of an 7x11 inch pan. You can also grease the pan with coconut oil if you don't have parchment paper. You will just need to let it cool completely and be careful about getting it out of the pan.
- Spread the mixture in the pan and bake 18-20 minutes.
- While that is baking slice the strawberries.
- To make the coconut whipped topping place the coconut milk, honey, and vanilla in a bowl and whisk together.
- Serve strawberries, and whipped cream over the cake and enjoy!
If you want to make a strawberry shortcake for one, serve it over my sweet bread in a mug for a fast, delicious treat!