What a week. That tummy ache my son had from too many chocolates wasn’t a tummy ache at all, but the stomach flu….that the rest of the family got as well! I wouldn’t wish the stomach flu on anyone. It is awful. I’ve had it once before and seriously thought I was going to die. I couldn’t keep anything down for over a week. This time seemed a bit milder. However, I felt so bad for my two year old, because there is not much you can do for them. Thankfully my husband took care of her since I was so sick, but then he got sick the next day too.
It’s so strange to have the smell of food turn your stomach when you love food is much. It’s a curse! I was only able to keep one apple down the first day I was sick. We are all finally feeling better today, but I’m still exhausted. And I’ve been sleeping a lot. I will definitely appreciate my body when I am feeling 100% again. I hope you are all in good health.
When I am sick all I want is soup. I unfortunately didn’t have all the ingredients I needed to make chicken and dumplings, because I would’ve made that. I don’t think I had the energy to make anything either. So I settled for take out chicken noodle soup….I know, it’s not Paleo, but I was pretty desperate. Soup seems to be the best food when you are not feeling great. That’s probably why I have soup planned for dinner for the next three nights, including this delicious lemon rice soup.
This egg free free version of creamy lemon and Paleo rice soup is the perfect remedy when you are not feeling well. It’s also great anytime. The first time I had lemon rice soup was at college in a mom and pop restaurant called Jimmy’s. It was frequented by a lot of students after late nights out. This was the same restaurant where my friend introduced me to eggs over easy. Yes, I had never had an over easy egg until I was in college. I was a sheltered child!
- 1 medium head of cauliflower
- 1 cup of water
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- ½ cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
- 3 cups of chicken broth
- 1 and ½ cups cooked chicken.
- 1 Tbs parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- Roughly chop ¾ of the cauliflower head and place it in a large stockpot with 1 cup of water.
- Heat over medium heat and cover for 10-12 minutes or until soft.
- While that is cooking peel and chop the carrots and chop the cooked chicken.
- Take the remaining ¼ head of cauliflower and pulse it in a food processor until it is rice like in texture.
- Once the cauliflower is soft and easily pierced with a fork, zest the lemon into the cauliflower and broth.
- Squeeze the lemon into the cauliflower and add the broth.
- Blend the cauliflower, lemon, and broth in batches or use an immersion blender. Blend it well until it's smooth and creamy.
- Return the soup to the large stockpot and add the carrots, cooked chicken, cauliflower rice, salt, pepper, and parsley and cook over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until the carrots are soft.
If you are looking for another soup to warm you up, try my chicken and dumplings.