So did you watch the Super Bowl last night? I am a little embarrassed to admit that I missed the last half because I went to bed early….however I just looked up the score and it was a blowout, so I’m sure I wasn’t the only one who would rather be sleeping than watching the game! We had a busy weekend, so I was pretty exhausted. Even though the game wasn’t great, I hope you at least enjoyed some great food. I get more excited about the food than the actual game! 😉
So now that February is officially here, I’m excited to share some Valentine’s Day posts with you! Of course Valentine’s is synonymous with sweet treats, and there is nothing sweeter than these cute heart shaped Paleo pop tarts!
These are really easy to make, with just a few simple ingredients. You will roll the dough between two pieces of parchment paper.
You will need to break out that heart shaped cookie cutter.
Valentine’s Day always holds a special place in my heart. It was the night my husband and I first met officially. We were both Freshman in college and met at a gathering in his dorm. We stayed up most of the night talking! We did start dating after that, however we haven’t been together all those years. There’s more to the story than that, but I don’t want to bore you with all the details. As the saying goes, if you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, it’s yours. If it doesn’t, it never was. Now let’s make these pop tarts!
- For the strawberry filling:
- 1 and ½ cups frozen strawberries (about 12 strawberries)
- 1 and ½ tbs water
- For the dough:
- 1 and ½ cups almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut oil melted
- 1 medium banana (1/3 cup)
- Dash of salt
- Start by softening the banana and melting the coconut oil. You can microwave it for 1 minute or heat it in a pan on the stove until it becomes soft and releases it's juices and the coconut oil has completely melted.
- In a bowl, mix the almond flour, salt, melted coconut oil, and banana.
- Spread dough onto parchment paper.
- Use another piece of parchment paper on top of the dough and flatten out using a rolling pin.
- Freeze the dough for 10-15 minutes.
- While that is freezing make the strawberry filling by cooking the strawberries and water in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook for 5-8 minutes or until they start to break down and become soft.
- Mash them with a fork or you can blend the strawberries if you prefer a smooth sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 350 and remove the cookie dough.
- Use a heart shaped cookie cutter to cut the dough. Peel away the dough around the hearts.
- Put a small amount (1 tsp) of filling on one heart and cover with another heart.
- Use a fork to press gently around the edges of the heart to pinch the pop tart together.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Roll up the scrap dough and repeat steps 4 & 5, & 9-12 until all the dough is gone.
- I was able to make 13 hearts
If you like sweet treats for breakfast give my blueberry maple scones a try.