I just cannot believe that Christmas is next week! This time of year just seems to fly by! It’s especially busy because we celebrate my husband and daughter’s birthdays around this time. So much celebrating, planning, decorating, mailing, crafting, and…Hmmm I need a nap! Anyone else feel that way too?
There are always fun movies out this time of year, and my husband and I went to see the Hobbit in 3D for his birthday. There was less than 10 people in the theater, so I decided to sprawl out. I lifted the arms on the chair and snuggled into my husband. I’m a little embarrassed to admit that I dozed off for about 10 minutes! This would probably be acceptable if we saw the movie at 10, but we went to a 6 o’clock flick! I had to sit up after that to stay awake. Even though I took a small cat nap, it was pretty good. I just was a little frustrated with how it ended! Ugh! You know those movies that end on a cliffhanger, leaving you to wonder what’s next. Yup, this was one of them. Of course, I know they do it so you will watch the next one, but come on! Have the next movie come out the following month, so I won’t have to wait too long and have to watch it over again! I don’t want to sound like a brat here. It was really nice just spending time alone with my hubby!
Before the movie we celebrated with some yummy coconut cream pie-my hubby’s favorite! I didn’t have a recipe and didn’t really have the time to create my own, so I found one from Living Healthy with Chocolate and modified it a bit! It was delicious and so easy! Her recipe included another layer and chocolate which sounds amazing! I just wanted something a little simpler (plus I only had one can of coconut milk). It was perfect!
- For the crust:
- ¾ cup of almond flour
- ½ cup of walnuts (I used whole walnuts, so if yours are already chopped you won’t need as much)
- 1 Tbs raw honey
- 4 and ½ Tbs of coconut oil melted
- For the filling:
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 3 Tbs arrowroot
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbs raw honey
- Dash of salt
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- About ¼ to ½ cup more of shredded unsweetened coconut for the topping (depending upon how much coconut you like)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Melt the coconut oil and raw honey.
- Add the walnuts to a food processor and roughly chop the pieces.
- Add the walnuts to the almond flour, the pour the coconut oil and honey over it and mix well.
- Grease a glass circular pie pan with coconut oil, then add the crust ingredients.
- Flatten the crust over the bottom of the pan using your fingers. (Note: If you want the crust to go up the sides of the pan I would make 1 and ½ of the recipe for the crust.)
- Bake the crust for 10-15 minutes or until it starts to brown a bit.
- Remove the pan and cool.
- For the filling add the coconut milk, egg, arrowroot, honey, and salt to a large skillet over high heat. Mix well with a whisk and keep mixing until the mixture starts to boil and thicken.
- Mix in the vanilla and coconut and pour over the crust.
- Refrigerate for at least four hours.
- To toast the coconut, spread out on a cookie sheet and cook at 350 for 3-5 minutes. I checked it every minute to ensure that it didn’t burn.
- Sprinkle over your pie and enjoy!
This pie was so good I had it for breakfast with a peppermint mocha! Yes, I know it probably wasn’t the healthiest breakfast, but I didn’t want these leftovers to go to waste!