Sweet Potato Flatbread

Wow! It’s been a long week! The hubs has been gone all week for business which makes for long days at home! I’ve gone to bed before 9, every night except one! Does that make me old? I remember coming home from my Freshman year of college and my mom said my curfew was at 11 pm. I thought she was joking. I explained that we didn’t even go out until 11 at college. That was my last summer home. Once you have a taste of freedom, it’s hard to go back home. :) But that was ages ago! Here I am now, excited to crawl in bed at 9 pm. But I wouldn’t trade my life now for my life then! Life gets better with age. I have honestly never felt better physically and emotionally than I have now.

Since it is just me and the kids I’ve been pretty lazy for dinner. Hotdogs and applesauce, eggs and bacon, chocolate milkshakes made from bananas, apple pancakes (Yikes, not a single veggie in there)…..these are my “I don’t want to cook dinners.” We are all allowed those days! I just have more of them when my husband is gone. What are your “I don’t want to cook dinners ?”

I was prepared for this lack of dinner inspiration and came up with this yummy sweet potato flatbread last week, that I knew I could write about this week. From time to time I miss having a sandwich. I’ve tried the cauliflower buns, but made them so much that I’m kind of burnt out on them. I thought I could make a type of bun with sweet potato, so I did, and I love it! Keep checking in or subscribe to see some upcoming sandwich recipes!

What is your favorite ‘bun’ substitute?
Sweet Potato Flatbread MellowMomma

5.0 from 1 reviews

Sweet Potato Flatbread

Cook time
Total time

Missing sandwiches? You won’t with this yummy flatbread.
Author:
: Bread
Serves: 3-6
Ingredients
  • 2 Tbs arrowroot flour
  • 2 Tbs coconut flour
  • ½ cup cooked sweet potato
  • 1 and ½ Tbs olive oil
  • 1 egg
  • ⅛ tsp salt
  • ¼ tsp garlic powder
  • ¼ tsp ginger
  • ⅛ tsp cinnamon
  • ⅛ tsp paprika
  • Note: please feel free to adjust or omit spices to suit your preferences or to compliment different types of sandwiches.
Directions
  1. Heat the sweet potato in the microwave (4-6 mins) or oven (30-40 mins) until it’s soft and easily pierced with a fork.
  2. Preheat the oven to 400.
  3. In a bowl add all the dry ingredients and mix well.
  4. Then add the olive oil, egg, and sweet potato and mix well. The mixture will be pretty thick.
  5. Place parchment paper on a baking sheet. Spoon out 6 balls of the sweet potato mixture onto the parchment paper.
  6. Using another small piece of parchment paper to flatten out the sweet potato mixture until it is about the size of your palm. Sprinkle a little arrowroot on the balls if they start to stick to the paper.
  7. Bake for 10-13 minutes.

Looking for a different way to cook sweet potatoes? How about this sweet potato biscuit for one!

Sweet Potato Biscuit MellowMomma

Posted under: Paleo Recipes, Sides

Tagged as: , , , , ,

18 comments

• MellowMomma on November 10, 2013 at 10:00 pm said:

Hi Sheila! I think they should work with other potatoes, since they have the same texture. You may want to change up the spices a bit to compliment the Yukon gold potatoes. Let me know how they turn out!

• sheila on November 14, 2013 at 12:17 pm said:

I used the yukon golds and the flatbread came out pretty good! They cooked perfectly and they hold up well for sandwiches. I didn’t use any seasoning except salt, but now that I have the base recipe down I can experiment. Now I just have to see how they store in fridge and freezer. This batch didn’t make it to storage! Thanks for the recipe!

• MellowMomma on November 15, 2013 at 3:47 pm said:

Awesome! I’m so glad it worked! Let me know if they freeze well. We’ve been eating them right up as I make them as well. It would be nice to make a large batch to freeze though!

• sheila on November 19, 2013 at 2:42 pm said:

Made another batch using yukons. Put a few in freezer and a few in fridge. The fidge ones were ok cold, but much better warmed in the microwave for a few seconds. They were even a bit pliable so I made a turkey wrap. The frozen ones thawed just fine and tasted as if they weren’t frozen at all. So, now that the yukons are gone I’ll make them with sweet potatoes. Kinda working backwards!

• MellowMomma on November 22, 2013 at 9:22 pm said:

I’m so glad they worked! A wrap is a great idea! I was also thinking of using them as tortillas as well and changing up the spices. Thanks so much for trying out my recipes!

• MellowMomma on February 1, 2014 at 12:21 pm said:

I have not tried it with just almond flour, but it would be worth a try. I know the arrowroot powder seems to make the flatbread more flexible. I would think this would work fine with almond flour, but it may just have a different texture.

• Anne on May 23, 2014 at 9:36 pm said:

Great recipe for ideas….what I did

I spiralized into noodles one parsnip and one sweet potato

baked Parsnip in oven at 450 for 15 minutes with oil and sunrise spice from Well Fed website. Then added baked parsnips to a bowl with one egg and 1 tbls. Arrowroot mixed up…..tossed to mix and put in Omelet / Pancake maker from target to cook…. they made hearty buns for a sandwich

For the sweet potato….baked at 450 for 15 minutes at same time as the parsnip / ghee on sweet potato and fresh sage chiffonade from the garden…Then added baked sweet potato to a bowl with one egg and 1 tbls. Tapioca flour – mixed up…..tossed to mix and put in Omelet / Pancake maker from target to cook…. they made hearty buns for a sandwich. I took pictures to share if anyone wants the pictures. Don’t know if I can add to this site/posting.