Well school is in full swing! I know this because there is a lot of coughing, sneezing, and snotty noses all around. I know, not a very appetizing picture for a food post. Sorry. I guess that’s the reality of a momma. My kids had a very mild sniffle here and there, and I thought I was going to get a cold, so I got to work creating this delicious Paleo Chicken Noodle Soup and by golly it really did help us all! I normally don’t say by golly, but it just felt right! I think by golly might be a dying phrase. So sad…
So back to this amazing soup! This is a lifesaver when you are feeling a bit icky. I truly have noticed that our colds are much milder and less frequent since switching to Paleo. Do you get sick less frequently since switching to Paleo?
Also, I know kale is not normally in chicken noodle soup, but I love it so much in soup, that it just felt right! Plus there is no such thing as too much kale!
- ½ spaghetti squash
- 1 onion
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked, diced chicken
- 1 -12 oz bag of frozen crinkle cut carrots
- 1 can of full fat coconut milk
- 3 Tbs arrowroot flour
- 1 Tbs thyme
- 1Tbs basil
- 1 Tbs oregano
- 3 cups packed kale
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds and pulp, and place flesh side down in a glass pan. Add ½ -1 cup of water to the pan, so it just covers the entire bottom of the pan. (You only need ½ the squash, but you can cook them both and use the other half for another recipe. It will keep well in the fridge for a day or two.)
- Place the spaghetti squash in the oven and cook for 45-60 minutes or until outer skin is soft when pierced with a fork.
- While that is cooking add olive oil to a large stockpot on medium heat.
- Chop the onion and add to the olive oil along with the salt and pepper. Cook 5-7 minutes or until it starts to brown and caramelize.
- Add 1 Tbs of arrowroot and half a can of coconut milk. Stir well and let thicken. Slowly add the remaining 2 Tbs of arrowroot and the coconut milk and stir and let it thicken.
- Add the broth about a cup at a time, stirring well.
- Chop and add the cooked chicken, bag of carrots, and remaining spices and continue to cook on medium heat.
- About 10 minutes before the squash is done, add the kale. Make sure the kale is removed from the stem and torn into bit size pieces.
- Remove the squash when it is done and let it cool for a few minutes. Take the soup off the stove and using a fork, shred the spaghetti squash into the soup and stir well.
This soup is similar to my Paleo Chicken and Dumplings, so if your in the mood for dumplings instead of noodles, check that out!